Friday, September 11, 2020

Stupid People

My friend Melissa and I took a long drive through the woods in Washington State the other day.  It was Labor Day weekend, and a bazillion people were out in the forest.  I found myself cursing at every vehicle that passed us on the gravel roads, kicking up lots of dust for us to breathe.

After a while, we turned off on a smaller road to go explore a bog that I know about it.  It is full of carnivorous plants and cranberries, and it is delightful at any time of year.

At one point, I happened to look out the window and saw this larch tree:



That broom looks rather promising.  We will have to go back with my shotgun to see if we can get some scions for grafting.  There aren't many cultivars of that species, so I'm kind of excited about it.

We continued south, and came across an abandoned bonfire.  Not just a little camp fire.  A fucking BONFIRE.  

What in the hell is wrong with people?  This was one day before the windstorm that is currently burning the entire west coast of North America.  OMFG.

We didn't have a bucket, so we scooped water out of the creek, using a reusable grocery bag.  It took a lot of water to extinguish the fire.  it kept boiling away as we stirred it into the coals.  We finally got it extinguished.  

Here's a pic after we dumped a lot of water on it:




The next day, the wind kicked up, and the whole West Coast caught on fire.  if we hadn't put that fire out, I'm sure the wind would have fanned that substantial coal bed, and the woods next to it would have burned. 

Melissa and I have been patting ourselves on the back all week for being such great citizens.  You are welcome, Washington!  😀



1 comment: