Thursday, May 25, 2017

Cherry Broom

I've been at my new job a couple of years now.  One of the best parts about it is that I get to drive to work on country roads every day.  When you drive along the same stretch of road, you get plenty of opportunities to spot unusual plants.

In the middle of last year, I discovered a broom in a hardwood tree on the road to work.  I would see it every day for a few months before I stopped to see what species it was.  It is on a treacherous stretch of road with very little room to pull over.

It turns out that it is a cherry tree- Prunus avium.  This species is from Europe, but it has naturalized in the US in places with suitable climates.  The wild ones grow into large forest trees with smaller fruit than cultivated varieties.




Here it is from a different angle.  


Last winter, I collected scions to store in the refrigerator until spring.  When I brought them out to graft, however, I saw that they had already come out of dormancy.  I grafted them anyway, just in case.  They failed.  I've found that plants will sometimes come out of dormancy at the right time, even when they are being held in a constant cold temperature in the refrigerator.  It makes me wonder what other cues in the environment trigger the internal clock of plants.  Had it already begun the process in late winter, so it just followed through?  Or does it just somehow count the days?

Luckily, fruit trees are much easier to graft than conifers.  I will have a second chance to graft this plant again in late summer.  At that time of year, I can do bud grafting, which is actually easier.  I have a much better success rate with Prunus while using this kind of grafting. 

I have to ask myself if brooms like this one, or the plum I found a couple of years ago, will yield anything useful at all.  There are many ornamental cultivars of cherries and plums.  These, if they even bloom- will have simple, single flowers.  As I'm writing this, I wonder if these brooms could be useful for dwarfing rootstocks.  Or perhaps I could use them as breeding stock to cross with the more ornamental varieties that already exist.  When you combine plant hunting with breeding projects, it seems that there are so many possibilities- far more than one can explore in a lifetime.







No comments:

Post a Comment