Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Twayblades



There are lots of orchids that are native to temperate forests.  Some are showy, like Cypripedium and Calypso orchids.  Others are much more subtle.  In order to really appreciate them, you have to get down on your hands and knees.  It wasn't until I became a hard-core plant geek that I began to really appreciate (relish) the value of undomesticated plants without the gawdy flowers that fill commercial nurseries.  After a while, the large-flowered, mass-produced shit that you see at garden centers starts to look cheap and trashy.  But when you take the time to look around you, you can sometimes find botanical gems that other people walk right past.

The twayblades- in genus Listera- are such plants.  Most of the species are very similar to each other- tiny plants only a few inches tall.  Leaves and flowers alike are an almost translucent lime green.  I took a picture of these on our family property.  I've tried growing them in my garden before, but the slugs think they are delicious.  Perhaps I should try growing them in a pot.  That way I could protect them from slugs.  I could also put them on a table while they bloom and enjoy their understated beauty close up.

I believe that the plants in this picture are Listera convallarioides.  I don't see this plant often, but when I do it is in shady, moist woods.  They seem to spread and form colonies- though I suppose that could be from seed as well.

So on your next hike or walk in the woods, pay close attention to the small green plants on the forest floor.  Delicate and beautiful treasures could well be at your feet.


5 comments:

  1. Now I want to go for a hike just to find some. They are so tiny and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next spring you should come with me for a plant hunting trip!

      Delete
  2. These do indeed look like Listera convallarioides, not at all common here in Washington. Would love to see them sometime. It's one of two native orchids I haven't seen. Went to Corral Pass this summer to see them and they had closed the road and I didn't feel like hiking in six miles to the trailhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I knew what they were because I found a patch of them here in Oregon several years ago. Perhaps next year you can come visit our property in E WA. There are lots of Cypripedium montanum, Listera convallarioides and C. caurina, various Corallorhizas, and Calypso there. I think there might also be a green Habaneria there, too.

      Delete